PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum ceiling for enginr failures IFR
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 21:49
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't make sense to try to not fly above fog because a lot of fog is under a cloud of some sort so this would mean you can't overfly any solid cloud cover under IFR, which is silly.
I dont know how you do things but with me i look at met. If there is something that bothers me in the met reports I look closer.

Fog is one item that can stop me landing. Little else does. In a single I would not just look at my destination and alternatives but I would certainly look at enroute airport actuals and Tafs.

I mentioned flying from the mid UK to Aberdeen when there was extensive fog forecast.

I checked literally all the actuals and TAFS enroute for every airport. The whole lot looked awful.

My destination was clear and forecast to stay so although further south (Glasgow Edinburgh etc were all down at 200 metres)
Ireland was totally clear and forecast to be totally clear so I opted to go with loads of fuel and in a capable twin.

Had I been in a single NO WAY!!!

Because you cannot see it doesnt mean its not there and cannot bite you! bit like at night really when you fly into a CB because you cant see it.

That is the time to be more on alert at what lies below the cloud as you will still find the fog when you dont want to

If you close your eyes to that then your playing russian roulette! I too dont trust pistons.

Most of us have played russian roulette at some time or other me included (more than I would admit to) but at least be aware that you are playing Russian roulette and dont try and justify it as a safe way of operating because its not ?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Aug 2011 at 22:33.