PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces unfit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 20:25
chopabeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armed Forces unfit for purpose?

Today a report has been issued by the Armed Forces Select Committee, which states that they are not convinced the armed forces will be able to do what is asked of them by 2015. This was the result of a study by a cross party group of MP's, and informed by the most senior of our officers.

This is not news to any member of the armed forces I would suggest.

On the way home from work today, I had the great misfortune of listening to the Defence Sec, Liam Fox, being questioned on the issue. He said that 'I do not agree with the outcome of the report. The armed forces are capable of meeting both their current commitments, and any that they will be asked to carry out in the future' (I paraphrase - can't remember the exact words, but I am not far wrong and the meaning is correct)

What chance do we have? The best and brightest of the Officers in the military, with 100's of years service between them, can tell him 'how it is', and this politician, can simply say 'you are wrong - we are fine'.

We have no chance, and no future. Our senior officers are unable and in any event unwilling to stand up to the Gov't. It started when Gordon Brown made it, in my view, his personal mission to destroy the Armed Forces and has continued ever since.

How do we get through to the Gov't that we do actually know what we are talking about? That defence is our business and we are right? I suggest that our senior officers are unable to act on our behalf - effectively impotent, and it is up to the rest of us.

I feel passionately that the corporate knowledge exists amongst the forces to be more powerful, more efficient, and 'better' at what we do. The knowledge of how to improve in the most cost effective way exists. But probably not above SO2 level. Those above appear to me to have sacrificed their principles, and been seduced by management speak at Staff college.

Chaps, we know better, but how do we get the message across to senior officers and politicians that they don't have the first clue what they are talking about?

We are not well. We are underfunded, overstretched, worn out, and it's getting worse. We will break, and soon (much is already broken), but when the politician charged with our command says, effectively, 'rubbish - it's all fine', I could cry.