PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 18:35
StickyStickMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Future RAF pilot

My first post on this website so hopefully it's in the right place, sorry if it isn't .

I am 16 and about to start sixth form and desperately want to be a fighter pilot after I've finished my education.

I went to my local AFCO today and discussed my future in the RAF etc. I asked the AFCO guy whether gaining a PPL before applying as a pilot would help me or not. His reply was "It certainly wouldn't harm you, but it may not necessarily help you during the selection process." Not really the answer I was hoping for.

My dad seems to think a PPL will benefit me greatly (because they cherry pick pilots during recruiting) but I think spending all the money on a PPL is a waste as you have to go through EFT in the RAF anyway. I believe it won't help me during OASC but may benefit my during EFT.

Also before anyone asks the reason I havn't got a sponsorship during sixth form is because I am attending a sixth form college in the Netherlands and the sponsorship policy regarding recidency says the sixth form must be in the UK.

I am elegible for the RAF before anybody starts questioning that issue .

Have a look through this thread. You may also find that an "official" response could be forthcoming in here. Moderators.