PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 16:43
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry Morris, I was doing that last post while you posted.

so EVERYTHING we have done in the past has been wasteful not very coordinated..?
I don't think I said that, but if we are able to make considerable savings without the NPAS changes as has been muted, something must have been not quite right!

Have you seen the circles on maps where south yorks are being removed..?
And deployment decisions will not be made locally,
I have indeed and the North West circles also still baffle me !
The deployment side of things hasn't really been confirmed yet has it, so you can't really say that.

I can tell you now that we will rarely if ever be within 20 mins of their main current operating area, neither will the adjoining a/c surrounding it.
Not really based on any facts yet though is it?
Besides, don't you wonder why the ac or facilities haven't actually been removed yet?

But your wrong about the 20 min circles anyway, because the ones drawn on the maps from NPAS are indeed from the bases that remain.
What I am saying about the 20 min reaction time circles is that if the ac is at base, the stationary circles on the map are fixed. When the ac is in the air, the circle moves with them. Therefore with an airborne aircraft some areas will indeed get better coverage!

We will end up turning up too little, too late, to be effective.
We will however have nice long transit times to take in the scenary..
This is becoming to be a bit of a myth, especially when things are put into practise. Closest ac takes the job works, you can't predict where the job will be, but you can have a good guess where it might be.

Central despatch and tasking will take all local decision making out of the hands of individual units.

Deployments are to be controlled centrally (hence the "national" bit of the name and the hunt for a host force plus the administritive duties).
I think you'll find there will be a bit of, 'we are now deploying to...' going on. That whole point of everything being totally controlled centrally is another myth started at the beginning of this whole process. Things have moved on from there, local radios, computers and mobiles won't be removed and the picture painted earlier of an ops room with nothing more than a silent telephone and a crew waiting for it to ring is so old hat now!

We are about to become the PCSO's of the sky.. nice to see around but cock all use
Well, I would put it to you that most of us in the Air Ops business wouldn't consider ourselves as 'cock all use' as you put it. That is totally an attitude some will try and nurture in their unit as the self appointed 'union member' that would then eventually bring the unit and everyone in it down

Problem is that I can see where you are coming from and I can also see you allowing your shift to think along the lines of, 'Lets not rush, it will all be over by the time we get there'.
As sure as eggs is eggs, with that train of thought...it will be!
We will all gradually be closed down and some of you will smugly say to yourselves, 'Told you so'.
You would have got your desired result, only because you made it so!