PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 16:13
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Lets not get hung up about fast response times, urgency and 'special operations' here. Any urgent job depends on effective C3I and we aren't going to be launching blindly into the wild blue.

At the moment we need to concentrate on getting our normal roles right in the developing system which will happen in one form or another. No matter what we think or say here, things will change whether we like them or not.

It's all red herring stuff this firearms scenario anyway isn't it.
Yes we will all do what is needed, when needed with what we have at the time. For example, the ac may well be full of fuel, the firearms guys may well be on the other side of the county/region, the guys you had at training 5 months ago may be on leave and it's the other shift that are waiting for you, or already en-route to the pick up point!
Improvise, adapt and overcome all iaw PAOM.

Anyone know how much kit a firearms guy carries? What does it all weigh? What about the grab bag and ballistic shield?
I do, I asked first hand this afternoon!
What will you use, despatchers harness or their own working at height harness?

It has been said; "too few a/c have too far to travel and are spread too thinly to be effective."
However if ac are moved closer to the areas of higher crime, or stay where they are purely because they are closer, then surely they will be more effective. After all, how can we predict when the next job will be? Past figures, local knowledge maybe, which is why some units are now staying where they are!

We cannot predicy Mr Lone Wolf going on a rampage in the middle of nowhere where there has never been a crime before....besides, whatever happens, wherever it happens, most of it will be over after the first 5 minutes, while we are listening to it cracking off on the radios.

In reality what will happen?
IMHO, it will be launch the alert 5 downlink ac