PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 14:02
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AN2 Driver
I almost got into a fight not too long ago with some pensioner who went on about "at our times we had not..." Well, sorry, is that my fault? What if they had gotten of their behinds and done something about it? But of course moaning and groaning is so much easier than actually doing something.
Mmm, I´m not sure what "his times" were………..but if this person was old enough, he would have qualified to learn to fly FOR FREE perhaps.
Yep, I´m referring to WWII; or there abouts.
Just being facetious of course………

Not the best time to be alive back then, for obvious reasons; but from an aviation point of view it must have been "great", so to speak.
In those days guys learned how to fly Spitfires & Hurricanes just like that and they were kicked out to solo before they even had the time to pronounce "PPL".

Of course, drastic times calls for drastic measures…………and the non-combat accident rate was rather high, but I believe there was a generation of pilots that learned how to fly, (voluntarily or not); which subsequently turned obsolete after all the dust settled.

After that however, I imagine private aviation must have been VERY expensive in the 50´s & 60´s, very elite………..unless you had your own warbird droppin´ out of the sky and into your back garden perhaps………..did anybody restore "wounded" warbirds privately back then?
Were you even allowed to? I have no idea………...

Only late 60´s and in the 70´s Cessna and the likes came out with the GA type of models that we know today………is that correct? That is what I normally see and read……….I´m no expert.

Speaking for myself, I own a Cessna 150 "type of plane", classed "LSA"; and I find it relatively affordable, compared to the expenses of others: fancy cars, clothes, holidays and hobbies!
To be a member at my local golf club for instance, (or so I have been told) you spend something equal to the purchase prize of my Rotax 914.
Priorities………..

###Ultra Long Hauler###