PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ownership - how can we dispel the rich toy myth?
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 09:43
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's amazing how many people, when they know you fly and have a ppl, immediately latch onto the cost aspect.
Just about all of them? No wonder with everyone just rabbiting about how expemsive everything is and we are all going to be bancrupt soon booohooo. It's a mindset, Pompej, and while the original Cassandra was right eventually, the lot of them here these days are primarily doing predictions of doom until they believe them. Of course, if they don't expect anything else, then it will eventually happen.

Nobody EVER thinks about the hours and hours of study for the theory exams that you had to put in, or the commitment it takes to obtain your PPL whilst holding down a day job.
Even worse. They'll think "how has this lazy got the time to do all this while I don't"? Cost control freaks will not at all go by this argument, but will tell you how much "productive" time you've waisted doing a license which will "only cost you money" once it's finished.

What I'm trying to say is maybe the problem with society is that everybody is so impressed by and focused on the result but nobody really concentrates on the work that it takes to get there. Which is ironic because it's the work that is in everybody's control. I get, by the time people have maybe come to realise that the prime opportunities may have already passed behind them.
Yes, and by the time they do, they are disgruntled old hot air machines which will do their utmost to see that NOBODY get's to do what they have spoiled for themselfs.

I almost got into a fight not too long ago with some pensioner who went on about "at our times we had not..." Well, sorry, is that my fault? What if they had gotten of their behinds and done something about it? But of course moaning and groaning is so much easier than actually doing something.