PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 07:48
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The graphic below shows the the Roll Angle, Rudder Angle and Magnetic Heading throughout the LOC incident. The vertical redline at 02:12:59 indicates the situation recently discussed where the PF indicated he would use rudder to correct the right roll/bank.

As can be seen from examining all the traces, the aircraft had a marked tendency to roll to the right and this could be stabilized with the use of about 3° to 5° of left rudder. The PF only worked this out in the last minute.

Why was there a propensity for this righthand roll? I have previously posted that I believe that it was due to the nature of the descent, i.e high AoA, high vertical speed possibly causing an associated corriollis effect. A lower air pressure on the righthand side of the vertical stabilizer may have been aiding the roll to the right. The THS/elevator position assisted in coordinating the eventual turn when the roll angle became excessive.

If the aircraft hadn't become relatively stabilized in the 15° NU attitude with the THS and the elevator positioned as we know, the chances of entering a spiral dive would have been high.

NOTE: Magnetic variation at 3°N 30°W was 18°W, giving a heading at impact of 270°M - 18°W = 252°T.

EDIT :: The aircraft was noted as yawing to the right (tail to the left) in Interim Report No.1, and it is possible that the vortex being created during the descent was causing this yaw. That being the case, the right wing was flying slower than the left, and hence the tendency for the righthand roll.

Last edited by mm43; 3rd Aug 2011 at 08:32.