PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash near Bude, Cornwall: 24th July 2011
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 07:32
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good progress

Camp Freddie:
Having read all this, as far as I can see your theory is based on your own subjective assessment that 20-30% of people can't process visual references normally and therefore need showing techniques that they should use to guard these references whereas the rest of us learn through experience how to do this (helped or hindered by the 5 hours basic IF)
Yes that is approximately correct. (although 'learn through experience' must include (for example) experience on a bicycle in the woods when you were a kid etc hence most people already have the ability to process the cues as required...)

Camp Freddie:
My problem with this is the only source for this info is you and who knows if you are right or not, you sound like a doctor defining a new illness with no peer reviewed evidence to back it up.
YES!!! Precisely... Who knows if I am right or not? I am suggesting that someone with sufficient ability/comprehension/analytical skills to investigate should do so.

Yes my observation is indeed merely a hypothesis - (based on my experience(s) and analytical skills) - requiring investigation ....... and then peer review.

Camp Freddie:
I just don't buy the idea that 20-30% of pilots out there have got their brains wired differently,
Yup - I was pretty surprised too !!

Camp Freddie:
I think we just have many people of different abilities and that the current IF training is not vigorous or relevant enough and suggests to the student that a 180 turn is all you need, and that cloud avoidance is undertaught as a skill.
IF is a terrific skill - teaches higher level control techniques - makes better pilots - (has saved some people from their Inevitable IMC encounter... but don't let that confuse you) and, as you say, that training is not vigorous or relevant....

.... correct:
"IF training is not ... relevant"
is the point there - it does not reduce the number of IIMCs (probably increases it .. ?)

....but it is of course not addressing the issue of VRF - How to avoid IIMC - call it 'cloud avoidance' if you like ... but really there is more to it than that - including techniques to interpret what you see.

(like the first time a pilot sees a ship floating above the horizon in a grey sky when he crosses the channel in 'ONLY' 15km visibility. etc etc etc)

CF : this is good news... I am suggesting perhaps you investigate / will be surprised / are in a position to make a serious contribution to saving the misery caused.