PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 04:28
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DozyWannabee, commenting to BOAC you mention Birgenair. I think Takata rather noticed something I didn't chiefly because I have to guess what the graph titles are. What happened at 02:11:45? It looks like the nose dove down sharply if that is what "assiette (D- A cabrer)[DA]" means on the title for the dark green trace near the middle on page 114 of the French version of the recent report.

If that really is "nose plate" or the pitch angle of the nose of the aircraft that explains the sharp nose up stick input at that point. Before that moment stick inputs appear to have been rather mild.

It appears the plane, based on its aerodynamics not automatic anything, did exactly the right thing, get the nose down to pick up airspeed for stall recovery. Unfortunately I suspect transport pilots have a rather visceral fear of a 12 degree nose down pitch. Hence we see the nose up inputs. And of course the PF would see the aircraft's attitude making no sense given his nose up inputs.

It makes just a whole lot of good sense. And points up the utterly unprepared/untrained state of the pilots (plural intentional) on AF447.

I think takata should stand up and take a bow on this observation.