PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 02:20
xcitation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DozyWannabe

ColganAir: I do recall that incident. They said that he had been recently trained to stick up because under certain circumanstances. So he had both the reflex and some training indicating it was the right thing. Like you say it was lower so they had no second chance after the initial nose up stall response. Clearly the problem with a stall is that you must do the opposite of normal flight i.e. a/c drops so I nose up to get back up whereas a stall - i have stalled, nose down to get my wings flying and generate lift.

It makes me think that stall recovery is ripe for automation, so long as above a certain height, AoA sensors valid, etc. We want the pilot to do something counter intuitive, quickly. Stall recovery is not practiced often enough to become familiar let alone a reflex except for special pilot categories.

Thanks for the graphic and scaling. Has anyone figured out why the speeds spike up and down between 400kts and 50kts. Looks really odd. If the PFD showed radical jumping then it confused them even more.