PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 00:15
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(You guys are outrunning my reading time.)

bearfoil, there is no electronics failure that will fill an aircraft cockpit with ozone. Ozone production requires voltages that are not present. When they stink electronics failures are very distinctly not ozone smells. Phenolic (not used anymore) has a distinctive smell when it burns. Various wire insulation materials have their own distinctive smells. Burned transformer varnish and insulation has yet another smell. Burned carbon composition resistor (not used anymore) is yet another smell. Burned metal film resistors have too little smell to worry about. Burned epoxy fiberglass circuit boards are burned epoxy smell. (Don't ask. It was after three months of 60-70 hour work weeks.) The blue smoke from integrated circuits has little or no smell because it's generally magical and in small quantities. (No, you cannot stuff that blue smoke back inside, either.) When an electrolytic capacitor overheats and dies the odor is "impressive"; but, it is not ozone. A modern cockpit has few if any motors present spinning at high currents and high voltages.

In fact, modern cockpits are not Hollywood props that burn up dramatically with all manner of fireworks and squibs going off. (When your home computer fries it's smoke not ozone you smell.)

And, yes, in more than 60 years playing with electronics and electricity I've smelled all those smells above, some under rather dramatic conditions. (Wet slug tantalum capacitors don't stink much at all. They just embed themselves in ceilings. They're not used anymore.)

Your fancy is getting too many flights of late. Maybe you should have it take a vacation. It's not in the competition for frequent traveler miles. I know people who could run rings around your imagination.