PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 23:10
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bearfoil
Thanks, Doze. I sense some hesitancy there, just a bit. I see the traces as elevators commanding NOSE DOWN, and the THS not moving even a bump off the dead bottom (Closed, NU). Now you say that this "relaxation of NOSE UP" is insufficient to pry the slab off its perch.
Look very closely at the THS trace (as in zoom in to at least 300%). Unfortunately the PDF render is in too low a resolution to see much more than a couple of pixels difference, but there is movement from the THS actuator trace towards the end of those nose-down inputs. Unfortunately in both cases, the nose-down input was not applied long enough to make a significant difference.

...and the pilot making use of it locked in a seemingly personal battle with demons he imagines, or may actually see in evidence on his screen. I have suspicioned Overspeed, or its mimic, or its position in PF's thought process, for some time. His initial input, repeated at the last with one identical, is troubling. For you? r
I think an overspeed warning would require agreement from all speed sources, and therefore would have been annunciated to the PNF at the same time. The use of emotive words like "madman" and "demons" has come from you, not me. I'm trying to remain in the realms of dry language and logic.

[EDIT : I haven't backtracked at all - I merely gratefully accepted a correction on the part of why the initial stall warning events happened. I also know that "madman" originated from a post on the other thread, but I certainly never used it. ]

@MountainBear - I agree that the logic needs revisiting, but to say that the stall warning inhibit may have contributed to the pilots actions is to go directly in the face of the FDR traces. Stall warning starts at the apogee of the climb and persists for almost a minute. The correct response to stall warning is to lower the nose until the stall warning goes away and then level out once stable. The *trained* response to stall warning was to maintain a level attitude and increase thrust. The PF's response to the stall warning was to continue holding the stick halfway back (with two blips of nose-down lasting less than a second each), and then, 30 seconds into the stall warning holds the stick in the full nose-up position for more than 30 seconds, then returns to hovering around the halfway back position. At *no* point is there any sidestick input which correlates to the end of the stall warning at 2:12:57.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 2nd Aug 2011 at 23:33.