PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 23:06
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcitation,

I was very surprised myself to read the BEA report's section on cockpit PF and PNF seats - section 1.12.4.2.1.3. I was also dissappointed, as it has made no special reference to the pilots, just the seats. One can only infer the pilots state based on the generic comment in Section 1.13. which has only one sentence on the new found bodies referring to the previous analysis.

That being said, I've thought about the problem of him flying unbuckled, and the rest of what you've mentioned.

With the risk of repeating of what was already said, that means that either the impact, the shock unbuckled him, or him being alive and unbuckle himself. If it were the latter, then the Section 1.13 would not apply, which invalidates the latter. If it were the first, the BEA investigation would have found some evidence, but that is not mentioned at all.

This leaves us open to speculation.....

airtren

Edit: added
A word for word translation of the BEA Report text I have referred:
1.13 Renseignemants medicaux et pathologiques

L'examen des corps remontes lors de la phase 5 confirme les observations consignees dans le rapport d'etape nr 2.

1.13 Medical and Pathologique Information

The examination of the human remains recovered during Phase #5 /conforms with/confirms/ the observations mentioned in the Phase #2 Report.

1.12.4.2.1.3 Les sieges du cockpit

Sur le siege situe en place gauche, les centuires ventrals etaient attachees, le centure de 'l'entrejambe et les harnais d'epaules ne l'etaient pas.

Sur le siege situe en palce droite aucune ceninture n'etait attachee.

1.12.4.2.1.3 The cockpit seats

On the left side seat, the ventral belt was attached, the between the legs and the shoulder harnass were not.

On the right side seat none of the belts were attached.

Originally Posted by xcitation
airtren

PF was found unbuckled. This does not mean he was flying unbuckled or buckled, only after impact he was unbuckled.
I find it very unlikely that PF would not be strapped in whilst entering turbulence, at the onset of AP disconnnect, approaching impact. Surely the capt or FO would say something? I don't think that FDR capture a seat pressure sensor and belt activity.

Last edited by airtren; 3rd Aug 2011 at 07:42.