PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 22:54
bearfoil

Thanks, Doze. I sense some hesitancy there, just a bit. I see the traces as elevators commanding NOSE DOWN, and the THS not moving even a bump off the dead bottom (Closed, NU). Now you say that this "relaxation of NOSE UP" is insufficient to pry the slab off its perch. How about this. The Pilot does not know the THS is NU max. His "Nose Down", when THS is planted, may actually cause the THS to nestle even further into its stop.

Aerodynamically. Now the sensor does not do "Aerodynamically", so shouldn't the slab start to inch its way back ND? Do the elevators have to reach past 0 degrees (mechanically) to encourage the THS to migrate? Because moving the elevators "Less NOSE UP" does not move it?

If this is so, I can see where the case can be made that the THS caused the crash, with some help from a PF who was unaware of its importance in its position working against him. His "Feedback", via his instruments, would tell him "Up is working fine". "Nose Down is not working all that well", with overspeed on his mind, he's thinking (wrongly) the aircraft is aiding the "recovery from OS". Nose UP is what he wants, and the a/c seems to agree, and he is taught to trust the a/c. (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

BTW, and I'm sure you have thought of this: In a too fast condition, one instrument will tell the truth the same way as in a deep STALL, the VSI.

High rate of descent, on the panel, in his belly, ("We have crazy speed, Non?" etc.). Just another hole in the stinky cheese? And another reason to hold "Back stick for a long while".

The points I am trying to make are not substantial, they are made in an inquisitive way, and not to irritate. We may be left forever with a non registration of #2 Panel, and the pilot making use of it locked in a seemingly personal battle with demons he imagines, or may actually see in evidence on his screen. I have suspicioned Overspeed, or its mimic, or its position in PF's thought process, for some time. His initial input, repeated at the last with one identical, is troubling. For you?

I am exceedingly curious about these three Pilots. There is much complication on this flight deck, and soon the engineers will be satisfied.

The upshot of this accident is neither simple, nor is it in any way suggestive of progress. Yet.

Last edited by bearfoil; 2nd Aug 2011 at 23:16.