PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 22:05
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bearfoil
the actual trace shows the THS pinned, with elevators deflected Nose Down, at a time when ACARS were overloaded with other unreported data, and BEA have not explained the mechanism for controls integrity.

Doze. I have way short of enough to say anything definitively. Others might consider they are also in the same position. Look at the traces Elevs v THS on the right (later) tracks.
Given that you're now using phrases like "the aircraft 'died'" I suspect that would be a "yes", then. I still think it incredibly unlikely, and hopefully the final report will include a metallurgical analysis of the THS jackscrew assembly that will determine whether any fractures are consistent with ground impact or otherwise (I suspect that is the reason the assembly is one of the things they raised).

I also suspect the only way it could be proven to your satisfaction with the information we have at this point would have been if the PF had made an input sufficient to move the THS in the opposite direction and not got a response, which he did not do. The traces of what you describe as "making mayonaise" prove it.

@thermalsniffer - Sure thing. I was not intending to single out the PF for censure over and above the other crew members, just stating what could be a possibility based on the information we have. That said, the PNF queries the PF's actions several times ("Why are you going up?" "Descend, descend descend!"), but never seems to reach the point at which he has had enough and takes control. By the time the captain reaches the flight deck, they are past the pont of no return in any case, but it does appear that he did work out what had happened seconds before impact ("No, no, no don't pull back up").