PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 18:40
MountainBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the fortune of having my own Pitts (together with a couple of friends). Others, just take some spare time in the local aero club. But most think its just a waste of time. I would advise them to think again...and get back to basics.
This is exactly what I mean by burden shifting.

In response to my comment about stall warning logic several posters claimed that the situation AF447 found itself in was a set of facts that simply couldn't have been anticipated prior to this accident. But part of the job description of engineers and designers in all fields is to use their imagination, not just their reason. It's not a defense to say "We failed to anticipate" when part of your professional and ethical duty is to anticipate.

AF447 shouldn't have crashed. It did. The men who are responsible wear white shirts, trim their fingernails, shave their facial air. All of them have some type of advanced training and most of them have professional degrees. If there is a poster child for "white collar manslaughter" AF447 is it.

It is not logical to consider more training here, though it would always be well advised and have a safety payoff.

Why? Because the engineers do what is asked of them, and some questions are not asked. The trend is toward more and better automation.
In the big picture I support this trend towards more and better automation. But it comes at a cost, not just for pilots but for engineers and designers. With greater authority comes greater responsibility. If you want the power to fly the aircraft from a cubicle (via software) you have to be willing to accept the responsibility when it crashes. No dodging the ball of blame when it comes your way.