PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 18:19
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not my baby, but I am keen that the issues involved (both with respect to ongoing operations and events that may occur during this decade, and in terms of preparing for the future) are publicised and discussed as much as possible.

On which note, here is a link with a difference - it is a video from NATO:

Mine clearance in and around the port of Misrata

The video mentions not only clearing mines, but also the role of frigates and destroyers to protect the Minehunters, and towards the end of the video (4:35) you may notice the Italian carrier Giuseppe Garibaldi, complete with AV8B+ aircraft on deck. I am not sure if these have taken part in Libyan airstrikes, but it does show the value of ship based aircraft.

What about a Chinese view?

Zhang Wei, researcher of China Aviation Museum, said, "The Charles De Gaulle has played a great role during the Libyan Operation. Its presence has sent a message to the Libyan military that the French military has put all its effort in the fight. The fighter aircraft, the Super Etendard and the Rafale have together given the French the ability to strike fast and continuously. The E-2C Hawkeye aircraft can take off the Charles De Gaulle carrier and provide information for other British and French airplanes. "

In addition to its dense strikes capabilities, the carrier's advanced equipment include radars and communication systems. The technology has made the carrier the center of operations, allowing it to set military strategies for other fighter aircraft from different countries including Britain, Canada and Norway.

Will our Government take note?