PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caribbean B738 at Georgetown on Jul 30, 2011, overran runway
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 17:59
FirstStep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are we guessing?

Lomapaseo, "Why are we guessing?".

Well, were bored and have nothing better to do.

OK, that's not entirely correct. Some people like to "stir the pot", aka Boeing vs Airbus, ect.

Seriously, by nature we are an inquisitive lot. We search for answers, and barring that, propose some hypotheses of our own. Any "official" report is y-e-a-r-s down the road, yet "we" as a group, often flying these exact planes, have concerns. After every accident and mishap I have seen here, I put, or at least try to put myself into the operating pilots position, and mentally try to see what I would do. "Cargo Fire" over the North Pacific ( maybe get more life insurance ), ect. And NO, I can't exactly replicate what the pilot's in question actually do, as I don't have all the "facts" as "they" saw them. Maybe "they" saw a TRW on the LOC, and decided to cut in short, and didn't give themselves time to get stabilized, ect. I'm not saying that happened here, by any means, but these type of things do happen, and often the pilots aren't around to give their side of the story. More often than not they're dead. So, even though there are a lot of factors that I can't take into consideration, I try at least to learn from the experiences of others, in my own way.
Also, there is a wealth of information and experience in the heads of those on this forum. Personal experience flying the same type of plane, sometimes the exact plane. Personal experience flying into a particular field, airspace, ect. You can learn a lot, I almost always do.
You can also be misled. There are those on this forum that have NO credible experience, yet speak as if they do. How can you tell?. Often, you can't. I suspect they're are "news" types that are looking for a sensational pilot perspective. They may get it from a 16 year old kid, who flies an X-box, with a Forum tag of "OldSalty727". If that name exists I apologise in advance...
These are just my thoughts on "why we guess".