PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caribbean B738 at Georgetown on Jul 30, 2011, overran runway
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 17:58
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a Thought:

I did my initial DC-10 type rating with AA at DFW. My simulator instructor was a truly wonderful character called Frank Meyers. I think Frank first flew the DC-2 when he joined AA.

On an early exercise in the sim he had us taking off from a runway at Waco, Texas which exactly met Performance A requirements. He failed No.3 just before V1 and we both ended up just off the end of the runway.

"Right gentlemen" said Frank "Let us have a look at your seat position".

Now I tended to have my seat quite low and I sat a bit back from the rudder pedals (just like I did in a sailplane). Frank pointed out that in this position I could only get my ankle muscles on to the brake pedals whereas if I sat a bit higher and a bit closer, I could bear down with my thigh muscles etc and get much more pressure on to the brake pedals and much quicker.

I have to say that I did not really feel comfortable with having my seat in this new suggested position but it worked really well. I was easily able to stop next time we tried the Waco trick and from that time on I taught a hell of a lot of young men Frank's trick.

Can YOU apply FULL BRAKING in your present position?