PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 16:01
poorjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transparent HAL

(sebaska):
IMHO, what is conceivable now, not in some distant, undefined future, is making "staged" (or "preanounced") AP disconnect in some (but not all!) situations. I.E. have two thresholds for various parameters. When first threshold (let's call it warning threshold) is crossed there is a warning that AP "feels uneasy" about particular parametr(s) (which crossed that threshold). And the second threshold is exactly what is now AP disconnect threshold and causes the very same effect - disconnects AP.

That would not change current AP logic at all, it would add another system with logic similar the one which rules AP disconnection, but with lower preprogrammed thresholds.And that would help that guys and gals in front to bring themselves fully into the loop before airplane is handed to them.
My comment from a long-ago thread was a bit different - I think the a/p software should actively monitor trends, project the a/c state x seconds into the future, and thus warn the crew x seconds before disconnect. Being a big fan of situational awareness, as that prediction began to suggest bad things were in the future, I would have it clearly enunciate its concerns to an as-yet alarm-free cockpit.

Software complexity might be vaguely comparable to TCAS, although given the large number of parameters that might be an underestimation. And the counter-argument might be that many/most disconnects come from a sudden exceedance, not a slow degradation.

Off-topic here in any case.