PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:46
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
(Granted, in normal mode, it seems that sometimes the aircraft doesn't do this ... different topic.)
Different topic? Maybe - but I think it's important to make clear that the only time it won't do it is if you've permanently disabled autothrust (as in held A/T disengage down for more than 15 seconds) earlier in the flight and the elevator deflection you are commanding would stall the jet.

Originally Posted by Smilin_Ed
It was very unhelpful of the autotrim to run the THS all the way to 13, notwithstanding that the PF, inexplicably pulled back on the stick.
That's one way of looking at it, but the other way of looking at it is that the ability to command trim with the sidestick was predicated by the designers on the (reasonable) assumption that the pilot would know what he or she was commanding. Another of the assumptions I frequently see made on here that irks me is the idea that the flight control logic was entirely predicated on the idea that pilots always need to be protected from themselves, which is categorically not - and never was - the case, unhelpful remarks made by one person early in the A320's career notwithstanding.

I've wondered aloud quite a few times if the perception of the Airbus FBW system among some pilots would have been different if Gordon Corps had lived longer. He was the yin to Ziegler's yang.