PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 14:21
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airtren, if she was present and did speak (two BIG assumptions) her voice would be on the CVR. However, the CVR conversation presented in Interim Report 3 is not a full transcript, as extraneous conversation has been omitted. I think anything she said would be considered extraneous, and omitted.

The legal term in English for leaving out what she might have said if she were present and speaking is "redacted".

The leading clues to her possible presence are, 1.) the PF had not fastened his seat belt, which seems inscrutable behavior as he is flying the plane in turbulence, and, 2.) the retrieval of the fourth seat. If I recall correctly, it took about three hours for the submersible to descend to the wreckage, and a comparable time to ascend, and it would be unlikely that the fourth seat would be a priority item for retrieval given the effort and time it took to retrieve any item. Back when, I had thought perhaps they wanted to check whether the captain had sat in the 4th seat.

I think it is unlikely she was present, but given the clues above, I don't think it can be completely excluded given the partial information released so far. There are still whole gaps in the transcript, such as at what time did they attempt to contact DAKAR?