PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 13:58
bearfoil

BOAC

Agreed, emphatically. The NOSE lowered (to 6?). Was that all the further it would drop? Or did the STALL warning frighten the PF into a reprise of hie "approach to STALL recovery" in vogue at the time?

I am not agreed that this 'approach' (to Low altitude STALL) is completely unwise. From cruise, any STALL WARN (if correct) means controlling power and velocity (NOSE DOWN, keep power as selected?). Just gently.

I don't feel a go to DIRECT is wise. And certainly not with a touchy a/c. Absolutely not with a trimmed state other than cruise, the elevators are plenty for recovery.

I am trying to understand still how it is acceptable for the THS to go 13 NU withn or without the PF' knowledge. Then to remain there with a new control added to the scan and the control mix, and that a slow one.

I still do not understand the Pilots' behaviour. Perhaps never. Surprise? Distraction? Ergonomic? Fatigued? A Battle of "wills"?

It is not logical to consider more training here, though it would always be well advised and have a safety payoff.

Why? Because the engineers do what is asked of them, and some questions are not asked. The trend is toward more and better automation.
BEA have spoken, they have a great deal "invested" in the state of the discussion at present.

1. The accident was caused directly by a poorly known event, one that requires high level performance, and quickly.

2. How was the cause addressed prior to its first fatal entry? Badly.

3. From the outset, any act that had been properly addressed by those responsible, would likely have had a good result.

a. New Probes
b. High level manuevering skills
c. Restricted cockpit, Sterile? (For conditions)
d. Addition of kit.

KIT: Airbus has an RTLU. Rudder Control Limiter. Speed sensitive, it prevents damage to the Rudder from overdeflection.

THSTLU. Speed and Altitude sensitive, it might prevent damage to the people? Do we care about control loads management at cruise? It does save money, there's the Rub.

Good memories, at low speed and with a hobbled Rudder(RTLU), top foot may not have been helpful. With ROLL oscillations, the NOSE may have bobbed down a degree or two, but from the way the PF was piloting, he may have been trying to PREVENT the NOSE from dropping. Hence the "STOP the lateral movements" from PNF. A Tunnel test of 447's attitude would be interesting. At her AoA, the spill from the fuse and HS/elevators may have been flowing up and into the Rudder causing reverse action.

Last edited by bearfoil; 2nd Aug 2011 at 14:10.