PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accidents
Thread: Fatal accidents
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:45
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
well... although I am not a motorcycle rider, I am a firefighter. I have my own micro statistical snapshot.

We help up fallen motorcyclists and pilots. Two things are different: the pilots walk away more often, because they had some structure around to protect them, and the pilots generally seem to have more been the cause of their own difficulty, rather than being a victim of circumstance (other motorists doing unanticipated things).

Motorcyclists seem to become victim of factors, which they cannot control, and perhaps could not plan early enough to compensate for.

Pilots, on the other hand, seem to come to grief more as a result of their own decision making. Of the 20 or so plane crashes I have attended, 4 were fatal. All were spin in's from close to the ground. Two were very good friends, one horsing around at low altitude (a STOL kit would have compensated his foolishness, and saved his life), and the other a turnback following EFATO. He was a 20,000+ hour pilot, who tried for the airport behind him, rather than the shallow lake ahead. He nearly made it. The other two were very poorly conducted training for EFATO.

Of my four engine failures in flight, two were EFATO. In all cases, I was lucky enough not only to land mostly ahead, but to do so in a place from which a takeoff was possible following rectification.

I have not said that there is not luck involved in piloting!

So from that, I take it that proficiency, and good flying practice/discipline go a long way to keeping flying safe for PPL's