PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Give up the dream or go for it?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 10:36
Omlaaay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piltdown Man

Yes, virtually all of it will be my money. Got a job the day after my 16th Birthday and getting as many hours in as possible so I can afford to fly in the future. I would never and will never expect my parents to give the me the money to learn to fly. They gained their jobs themselves and have earned all their cash themselves, they are both very much looking forward to retiring and have been saving up for a long time. I would never want to accept their money and for them not to have all the things they were hoping and dreaming of, just because of me. Many people have done it on their own, and I would much rather do it on my own than with the financial support of my parents, it'll be more rewarding that way too, even if it will be difficult!!
I'm going to get my A-Levels and whilst I'm doing them, I'll get my PPL so I have all doors open.

rleungz

If I knew I could do a degree and there would be a job in whatever field waiting for my after, and then I could learn to fly. I would, in a heartbeat. But even now for graduates, jobs are scarce! I guess I'll have to see in 2 years time.

john_smith

I agree with you saying the best days are long gone. I often wish I was born 40/50 years ago! Wow, you were lucky!!! That's pretty impressive but surprising that you'd want to leave it behind, I guess we all have our reasons and opinions though I would never leave school as soon as possible, besides I think my parents and my entire family would string me up for doing so! When you put it like that, paying for University doesn't seem that bad at all and compared to paying for flying, it's loose change! I'm definitely not doing Maths/Physics, I'm thinking English, Geography and French? I definitely see where you're coming from and thank you for the sound advice! I shall see what the current situation is like in 2 years time and then go from there.