PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 09:37
sebaska

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcjeant
Another dumb question (and maybe already asked .. no remember .. and the search engine of this forum kill my nerves )

Why the AP must absolutely disengage when the system detect incoherent speed datas ?
And consequently ..why the procedure for IAS can't be take in charge by the AP for some time ... (pilots alerted) and give to pilots the time to put their gloves before touch anything ?
I answered that question some time ago (post #2067):

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post6582987

NASA is running a project to address that by prototyping "inteligent flight controls" which would adapt to particular degraded conditions whatever they might be. But this is for now just research project. And it's not finished yet, while it started in previous millenium. It's findings will probably first find their way into military UAV (meant to fly over enemy territory, so if one falls off the sky and hits someone on the head it's enemy who's hit so damage is acceptable), then into manned military equipment and only much later into transport category planes.

IMHO, what is conceivable now, not in some distant, undefined future, is making "staged" (or "preanounced") AP disconnect in some (but not all!) situations. I.E. have two thresholds for various parameters. When first threshold (let's call it warning threshold) is crossed there is a warning that AP "feels uneasy" about particular parametr(s) (which crossed that threshold). And the second threshold is exactly what is now AP disconnect threshold and causes the very same effect - disconnects AP.

That would not change current AP logic at all, it would add another system with logic similar the one which rules AP disconnection, but with lower preprogrammed thresholds.And that would help that guys and gals in front to bring themselves fully into the loop before airplane is handed to them.