PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook 30th Anniversary Dining In Night - 9th Sep 2011
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 05:55
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
On the contrary Wokawoka,

I have arranged and/or attended all ranks Dining In/Guest Nights, during both my regular and reserve service. These events have always been great successes and have sealed the bond across the rank structure.

All those events have been held in an officers' mess and whilst I concede that it has usually been officers and senior NCOs in attendance, there was no rank barrier.

I think those who attended the Puma bash would take issue that it was a 'hangar party', however.

Whilst I'm being bitchy, I might say that the appalling organisation at Odiham, which characterised the arrangements for the dedication of the SH Memorial in July 2006 (?), probably has some bearing on why Odiham won't arrange a bigger bash for the Chinook's 30th birthday! I can tell you that an 'aircrew officers only' bash will give considerable offence to the guys/gals down the back and the gals and guys who keep it working.

As a further aside, the famous and much decorated Mr 'H' - who travels down the back in the chinny - was the guest of honour at the Gulf War Jaguar pilots annual dinner at the RAF Club this year and if anybody has the right to celebrate the Chinook's birthday, it's him.

Notwithstanding, I do hope the event is a success and I salute all those whose hard work is so much appreciated at the sharp end.

Old Duffer