PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accidents
Thread: Fatal accidents
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 05:46
LD1Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger My 2p

I think most people see (GA) flying as generally safe.

I am currently a PPL(A) student with a fair few hours as P2 with the old man flying microlights over the last 20 years or so. We are expecting our first child in October so the O/H was over the moon when I told her I was selling the motorbikes in order to (finally) learn to fly. Something I largely justified with the safety argument, and also it was something that we could all do together. This is in spite of several EFATOs and other such incidents in the microlights over the years.

I'll admit I haven't looked at any accident statistics comparing driving/motorbikes/flying, but certainly my family were pleased when the bikes went, and generally unconcerned with the flying lessons. I think this largely comes from the fact that one takes more responsibility for one's own safety when flying, whereas the perception of riding bikes on the road is seen as risky due mainly to other traffic*

(*this however is not the case as most bike fatalities are a single vehicle leaving the road with excessive speed - i.e running out of talent mid corner, but people like to blame traffic/diesel/mud etc. and such is the perception.)

I am a professional yachtsman, which in itself carries a small risk, but this barely registers any more after 12 years, yet I have seen more injuries at sea - some very serious, than at any time flying or riding bikes.

As with many things in life, the perception is often at odds with the reality.