PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship and a few random queries
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 23:46
Lancair70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the F#%@ did I stuff up on the ground ? ? ?

He needed to be told..

I did not abuse him, I did not call him names. I asked him what freq he was on and he couldnt answer me ? ? Then his wife or partner piped up that he made all his calls ? I told him there was skydiving going on as well as the 3 other aircraft plus me who had to take action to avoid him, did he see us ? NO was his answer. Had he said I have a complete radio failure, I wouldnt have continued, there was the answer, all is safe now, get it fixed before leaving or have other aircraft accompany him making broadcasts on his behalf to the nearest suitable place to have it repaired.

Why did other pilots in the group come over and talk to me later about it ? They seemed concerned for this guys airmanship/piloting ?

All these visting aircraft parked on the grass too, which as pointed out alrady is NOTAM'd U/S ? ? Not a capital offence, but if their a/c had been damaged ? Had the regular ground guy been there they'd have copped a bigger serve from him too.

Im not trying to sound all high an mighty professional here, but who flies to a destination over 50nm from the deptarture aerodrome, and doesnt check weather and notams ?

Who has poor skills ? ?

Yes Paper Boy, Ive made mistakes too, Ive been told off too. I learn from them. Lets hope this pilot does too. Maybe you should re-read my post about how CTAF R is now CERT and still requires carriage and use of radio ?
YBNA has an AFRU, I use it EVERYTIME I tune the radio to the CTAF freq, before each flights first taxi call (if I havent heard any other Tx) and on arriving back to the CTAF having been on other freq's.
I am not a rookie skydive pilot, nor am I a skygod, Ive been doing this for aprox 800hrs by choice.
Im sure we are all aware of developing an mental picture of the aircraft around us by monitoring the radio (situational awareness). During ALL of my flights Im listening on 2 freq's, CTAF and Area. I listen for conflicting traffic and plan ahead for it if they will be near the drop at the time. I will hold for aircraft transiting the area if they dont offer to track away, I can ask them too but not demand.
This situation has made me more aware of the radio failed a/c in the circuit scenario and as I said before will be more thorough on confirming the ID and intentions of a/c that BNE CTR advise me of. In this incident I was confident as I had spoken to at least 3 a/c re the drop. I was dropping again as members of the group departed and Im sure theyll agree, we discussed the drop cordially and professionally, we were all aware and going to be clear of the area. I conduct my ops in a professional and courteous manner. If this guy cant handle being told off for his mistake, thats his problem.

Last edited by Lancair70; 2nd Aug 2011 at 00:31.