PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Misplaced optimism and the 'where should I train' syndrome ...
Old 15th Oct 2002, 15:16
Roger The Hosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good valid posts above.

The market is beginning to turn but i think that it will be a while for the jobs to filter down to the low hour people. As for starting training at the moment I think that it needs to thought through very carefully.

For those of you out there who have low hours( and theres alot if the Balpa conference is anything to go by) I think you should consider the alternatives i.e An instructor rating etc. A few of you might get a RHS chance over the next year but i feel very few will.
Where as an FI rating will give you a means of staying current , build the hours until you get your chance.

The Astraeus speaker made a very valid point at the conference,
stating that people want to go straight into the RHS of an airliner and don't consider instructing etc.

I personally think from speaking and listening to student at the school i instruct at that some think either it is beneath them and that they have a god given right to the RHS or that the elusive pilot shortage will take over and that a 737 will suddenly becon.

Fact is it will not.

When i started on the ATPL path i always intended to instruct for a season or two.
That is what i did and this made 9/11 very much a none event for my career plan.
Now I have 1400hrs I.R, MCC etc etc I am current,valid still in the aviation scene even if on the outer fringes and feel i am now employable. I have learnt more about how to fly and all the other things that go with it over the last two yrs than I ever did when i first went commercial.

Once the hiring begins it will filter down the chain and instructor jobs will become openly available we have taken on one this week and another got a job else where and these vacancies all came from people moving to the airlines.

If you go get an FI rating etc and hopefully land a job then this time next year you will have an extra 4-700hrs over the people that are just waiting it to fall in their lap.