PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asthma?
Thread: Asthma?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 19:59
Orange Peel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asthma?

Ok esteemed medical peeps. I'm an early forty something pilot who possibly has asthma, well perhaps

Since my child has started nursery my immune system has taken a battering. Last year the wife and I picked up colds that lasted ages and eventually went down into our chests. I was bringing up mucus for about a month every morning (nice ). Then I developed a wheeze whilst sitting on the couch in the evenings. It would disappear but occasionally I'd wake in the middle of the night with a wheezing.

I've never suffered from any allergy or asthma so I went to the local GP. Two different courses of steroids later he deduced it could be dust mite allergy and so gave me a course of hayfever type tablets for a month. No effect so he then deduced it was mild asthma. I was given a 2 week course on a puffer and told to stop and it disappeared never to rear its ugly head again, or so I thought. Until last month when I picked up another hefty cold which left me with the same symptoms.

I have starting doing cardio exercise again with no ill effects, I hoover the house with no ill effects and I mow the lawn with no ill effects. However I get bouts of clear mucus every now and again and this wheezing and a tightening of the chest which isn't severe but noticeable.

Searching on previous posts it seems chest conditions are easily misdiagnosed by GP's hence the reason for this post.....

What are you thoughts and implications for my class 1?!