PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accidents
Thread: Fatal accidents
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 19:24
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Kai Tak,

As appropriately stated earlier, it's not up to us. You are entitled to think whatever you like about the safety of flying. As with anything, the depth of knowledge about something, will affect the opinions a person holds about it. You are welcomed to deepen your understanding about flying, to further assure yourself, but in doing that, allow for the fact that those who are more familiar, will have a different idea of what "safe" is, and are very relaxed about it.

Is it safe to coast to a stop in an airplane, while approaching other parked, and while having very limited steering, and no brakes whatsoever? Some would say no, but it's done hundreds of times a day in floatplanes and ski planes.

Is it safe to land VFR at night, on a runway which has only reflectors, and is surrounded by trees, but with nearly no lights anywhere in sight? It's regularly done with no problems.

I could go on.....

You can interpret statistics any way you want. If you allow them to convince you that flying is not as safe as you would like it to be, then don't fly. It doesn't matter to us! The only person I'm trying to convince flying is safe, is the guy who sets the rates for my insurance! (and he seems pretty happy - it costs less to insure my plane than my car, and the plane is insured for more!)