PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 16:17
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Even though in the "Captain's seat" (left), the PNF (who also has more time in this model of aircraft) is not the acting Captain (aircraft commander) for that leg. He is by role definition the co-pilot. This goes a long way to explain some of why he was trying to talk the PF back into level flight.
Does that fit what you said, or have I misunderstood you again?
Well, concerning F/Os, they were both "co-pilots" for this leg. The one really acting as "co-pilot" during this leg was in fact the junior F/O, simply because he was the PF all along from take-off under captain command. At one point, captain ask him if he wants to take a rest, as he seems to be concerned by F/O long duty time. His answer was : "No, I don't feel tired".
When captain leaves, he could have picked the other F/O as "aircraft commander", but he didn't. He implicitely confirmed that "aircraft command" was on the hand of the PF.
I don't know the history of this crew. Was it usually composed of Captain + senior F/O? All we know is that the junior one was comming back from holiday. He certainly did not fly the previous leg with the same captain, but nothing says that the other F/O was also part of his usual crew.
This whole time, since the first discussion of CVR release, I have been under the impression that the PF (at A/P disconnect) was in the Right Hand Seat.
Is that incorrect?
Right, that's the only thing we knew for sure (we were guessing about who was flying, not from where). Now, we know also who was the PF, on the right hand seat.
Secondly, since this crash, AF has since changed policy so that the senior man on the flight deck is indeed the senior man on the flight deck.
Right?
It's not about seniority. Any F/O is still considered to be a possible choice for captain to pick for his replacement (should be determined pre-flight). It's about training for F/Os to perform the task as newly defined:
- Acting aircraft commander, PNF, left hand seat.
- PF, right hand seat.