PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship and a few random queries
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 13:46
Lancair70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NIK320, the C172 pilot certainly had right of way no arguments there, however the aerodrome concerned is a CTAF R, with RPT ops and multiple aircraft operating at any one time including parachute drop operations within the CTAF, 2nm due south of the airport that had taken place in the preceeding 8 minutes to the jump plane having to orbit.
That, what so casually right off as a "rookie mistake" could of had dire consequences if the other 3 (in addition to the jump plane) aircraft in the circuit hadnt seen this C172, enter the CTAF, join the circuit, conduct a touch n go, complete another circuit and land, while parachutists were in the air ?? It seemed quite obvious the pilot of the C172 hadnt seen any of them ? Otherwise one would imagine that upon seeing aircraft in the circuit with you but not hearing them broadcast . . .mmmm . . is my radio on ? correct switches ?

I am the pilot of the jump plane.
The first I knew of the C172 was when I saw him on base, all other traffic was in a position that allowed my straight in approach and communiciation about such was made on the ctaf, had I known about he C172 in the circuit Id have adjusted my timing to fit the flow in the circuit. Prior to my dropping the parachutists I had made 4min and 2min broadcasts on the ctaf and area freq, had spoken with several aircraft re the drop on the ctaf. BNE CTR advised me of several "paints" in the circuit and I advised him I was in touch with several aircraft in the circuit and nearby area. I was given drop clearance and then satisfied myself that it was safe, allowed the parachutists to exit. I was operating under the presumption that anyone operating in the area was on the correct frequency and able to hear my calls. What if he had strayed off to the south on a B747 sized circuit ? What if he collided with a parachitist ?
Maybe my hurried path across the apron after landing was a tad dramatic (the prop had most definately stopped) but given the situation ? ? I can tell you that I recieved full support from the pilots of the other aircraft for my action in telling the C172 pilot off, and as the story spread around the airfield more tales of the same thing came out. Fer crying out loud, this isnt a game that we can hit the reset button on. The C172 pilots answer to you is exactly what I figured had happened, right freq, wrong comm selected. Does that come under airmanship ? ?

I was glad to see all your aircraft made it off the grass, any damage ? Bob Tait wasn't so lucky, he taxied off onto the soft grass a few months ago (again NOTAM issued) and tore a ligament in his leg trying to pull the aircraft out.
The current NOTAM
ALL GRASSED AREAS NOT AVBL
DUE SOFT WET SFC
FROM 07 270531 TO 08 030400 EST
Your group is lucky the fulltime groundsman had the day off, he'd have been over to tell you off quicker than I was.

I hope you all had a pleasant and safe trip home.

Last edited by Lancair70; 1st Aug 2011 at 13:58. Reason: spelling correction