PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 13:30
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageYears
There was a comment by HarryMann (AF 447 Thread No. 5) that perhaps the PF was hearing a different airflow sound and wrongly associated this with high speed - absolutely that is possible!

But at the same time would it not be prudent to check the altimeter (which would have been significantly unwinding at this point)? If AF had passed on the bulletin sent by Airbus regarding the problems with the Thales pitots and subsequent UAS incidents, then surely this knowledge should have been - if not at the front of their minds - at least easily accessible?
The very first explicit reference to ALTITUDE occurs here:

2 h 12 min 42
PF: En alti on a quoi là ?
In alti[tude] we're at what, here?

2 h 12 min 44
CAP: (…) C’est pas possible
It's not possible
It would seem that Altitude was not high on the list of concerns until nearly 60 seconds AFTER the Capt returned to the cockpit, at least from the words spoken.

The point of my post and the original mention by HarryMann was an attempt to understand the PF's comment regarding "crazy speed"... I do have some concerns that he may have thought the opposite - i.e. crazy LOW, but that would not agree with the use of the Speedbrakes.... so it has to be crazy as in 'fast'? But then you wouldn't select TO/GA in that case.

A lot of confusion basically, which I think sums it up.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 2nd Aug 2011 at 00:01.