PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet to buy 120 A319s, with options for another 120 a/c
Old 15th Oct 2002, 12:54
Man Flex 32.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it’s worth I thought I would add my opinion. I have flown 4000 hours on the bus A340, A320/1 and currently have 500 hours on the B737-300 & 700, so I guess I’m sufficiently experienced to comment. I like the boeing but I’m afraid that the bus wins hands down, it is far superior. A lot of thought has gone into designing the flight deck, which is comfortable, a nice operating environment as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

Other items:

Autopilot remains engaged for a go-around single or dual operation
Cat 3B
Cat 3A for single engine
Dark cockpit concept
ECAM is good although can get confusing
Table to eat lunch (packed)

My only concern is towards the 156 config as we will need a minimum of 4 cabin crew, unless any concessions are available. If not then why not go for the A320 subject to operating costs over yields.

As far as reliability goes the bus is great if it’s kept flying, however most tech problems can be solved by a computer reset. I’ve only been sent home the once due to a nosewheel steering problem which is also fly-by-wire. I think the boeing pretty much holds its own here, not had too many probs.

The engineers I’ve spoken to prefer the bus because of its fault monitoring program which prints out the problem for the last sector after landing.

I hope the ACARS isn’t deactivated and to achieve the 20 min turnrounds then we will definitely need brake fans fitted. The boeing isn’t fitted with brake temp gauges (well we haven’t taken the option if it’s available) and because of this we have to check the brake cooling schedule after every landing – Don’t we?

MF32.5