PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 12:31
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Sim training will only take you so far. I refer again to Davis' impassioned plea to get ordinary airline pilots some extraordinary training - in real aircraft.

My original edition does not include this - has anyone got one of the later editions they could copy a quote from? (I read an F/O's in about 1999)

While flying in a 'retirement job' I found myself in a twin Turboprop with a full load of passengers, hopping from Aldergrove to City, at night, in rough and rainy conditions.

The stall warning went off, with shaker and siren.

It's hard to describe how that 7 mins or so of that beaten-into-me-brain pair of warnings affected me, even after thousands of hours in command on Turboprops, and really steeling myself against what had become an almost certain false warning. For a very long 60 seconds, it was almost impossible to believe the instruments.

Apart from the fact we were near lumpy ground, the 447 crew's sensory inputs and scrolling data were I would think, much more confusing. I feel deeply sorry for them, but do feel that they should have nailed attitude and power within a band appropriate to that aircraft as an absolutely fundamental part of aircraft handling.