PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any way around the drivers test??
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 10:59
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Skylight Dome,

Thanks for catching the cynical remark.

However, I feel that (with the exception of Oman) the problem in the GCC countries is sometimes over-the-top entry standards and draconian rules but a complete lack of policing and enforcement beyond that. I am not certain whether it is an aversion towards direct confrontation (I have my doubts whether traffic cameras are really effective to enforcing proper driving techniques versus the chance of having a patrol car just over the hill).

I sometimes also feel that the policing focuses on the wrong type of offenses. I could be arrested, cursed out, fined or even tossed in jail for eating and drinking in public during the Holy month of Ramadan, even though the Holy Koran may permit it in my situation and it does not create any harm to anybody else. However, if I am driving like an idiot at 50 km/hr over the speed limit, there is little likelihood that I will be stopped even while passing a slow-moving police vehicle. The same goes for "creative parking" in some parts of the GCC. The difference here is that my driving antics create a nuisance or even very real danger to society and the innocent public.

I believe that anarchy begins with an indifference to observing the rules.