PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 08:28
paull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lazy Speech?

Since in Normal law it goes where you point it, I guess in the vast majority of cases pitch up equates to going up so I can understand the lack of precision most of the time, but surely if the PNF or Captain did know what was happening (stall)they would have said "push the nose down (or forward)" rather than "Go Down".

1- Can we read anything into PF and Capt's use of Up/Down rather than nose Up/Down that would let us know what they understood the situation to be and when?

2- In a similar situation would explicit references to pitch be more helpful to the PF than saying Up or Down? After all, if I were frightened and could see from the rate of descent that I was going down fast, someone telling me to go down would not be something I would want to hear. A statement of "Get the nose down" might get through to me. (There again "The wing is stalled, get the nose down" would have probably been better still!)

I think of stall recovery as being like turning across the slope on skis, you know the theory, but the first time you turn back towards the fall line and it gets worse before it gets better, most of us fall on our backsides.