PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 1st Aug 2011, 06:50
YYZ_Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cattivo,

Its a very basic sim session with no extreme failures. The problem that you will be given will be straight forward and all you have to do is take the steps necessary for that situation (it doesn't matter if you make the right or wrong descision). Above transition which will be near 6000' you immediately use the autopilot to show full usage of automation making your life easier, that will give you plenty of time to brief the arrival and approach. If you have a situation arise its easy to handle with autopilot on! Do not disengage until passing Transition FL. If you are thrown a problem after autopilot disconnect then give your FO a set of steps to follow and you concentrate on flying the plane. Eventhough BA do not use the FORDEC model use it, its simple and will show your ability to think and brief a problem covering every aspect. You should feel no different to what you do at your current airline. To summarize it all there is only a very small part of the sim that you have to be focused on flying the SID up to 6000' which is approx 6min and the Arrival + App for 10min, not very demanding unless you make it demanding. The only advice I can give is stay ahead of the plane, use automation, use your partner (deligate tasks), never think "what are they thinking".

Hope that helps...I found it less stressful going in there knowing I only needed to concentrate on flying for approx 16min.

Good Luck to all!