PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship and a few random queries
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 23:42
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty obvious that the 'Sneca' driver was going for the sealed strip of greater length & the 'homey' was going straight in most likely due convenience. The two situations have relevance as individual cases. CAR rules are fine & applicable at all times (due legal reasons) but & yes there's always a 'but' commons sense can't be written into some rule book, people have to be the common sense part of the 'rules'. What lacks here in this case as we all can see is poor airman-ship, little thought for our fellow aviator & good 'old fashion curtious behavior in the air , the latter rarely seen these days especially on our insane roads!
With the cost of aviation being so high these days we can see the 'thinking' of both pilots here. the Sneca driver didn't want to land on a gravel strip due possible prop damage & performance considerations due a short strip. The 'homey' wanted to land straight in due less time airborne making it cheaper overall.
The fix for future situations? Education perhaps? Nope that never works humans are not good at doing as they are told especially in this country. Punitive actions? Nope we never learn from being 'smacked', the jails are full of 'smacked' people. So where does this leave us? Apart from years of exposure to such events & building that now lack of airman-ship & respect for others we are in the poo as it's an unifx-able situation completely but we can lesson the chances. You can make 10 airframes identical,perform exactly the same as each other but no so humans, we shall always show individuality even in the face of stupidity!
Simply be alert out there. Do as I do on the roads when you see daily the idiots out there just let them pass/by, I'd rather have the fools in front of me where I can see them & make life saving adjustments where necessary than have them behind me out of control!

Wmk2