PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear Richard ....
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 23:16
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both require similar attributes - attention to detail, a cool head, and weighing your options.
I agree to some extent but on the aircraft we (usually) have checklists to guide us through the problem.

As far as bad contracts go, most things are relative. Some people see coming to CX as a better option than paying for their own endorsement, uniform and lunch, a situation that seems to be so prevalent with other operators, particularly in Europe.

Do I agree with the constant erosion of pilots' terms and conditions? No I don't. Can anything be done about it? Unlikely whilst people still join the profession. Are we at CX any different from anywhere else? No, supply and demand is fundamental in any market - the only time something will change is when demand outstrips supply. At that point one of two things will happen; conditions improve or expansion stops. (For the economists out there, I realise the converse is true).

There is, of course, a third element to the supply scenario, implicit in Gligg's post, and that is standards. Are we at a "pay peanuts and you get monkeys" stage? I don't think so but it is clearly something that has to be borne in mind as the industry grows.

STP