PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads calendar August 2011
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 22:44
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Rotorheads calendar August 2011

25 years ago this month, on 11th August 1986, Westland Lynx “G-LYNX” set a new World Speed Record of 249.1 mph/400.87 kph. A record that remains unbeaten, so this month’s calendar is a photo supplied by AgustaWestland of the record-breaking machine in flight.

The Lynx helicopter, registered G-LYNX, flew a 15km course across the Somerset Levels at 500 ft on a calm hazy evening back in 1986 with Chief Test Pilot Trevor Egginton at the controls and Derek Clews, Flight Test Engineer alongside. The average speed achieved over two runs was 249.1 mph (400.87 kph), beating the record held by a modified Mil “Hind” helicopter by over 20 mph (32 kph).

If anyone has a better hi-res image than the one that was supplied could they let me have a copy? I'll use it instead of the blocky image that I've had to use.

Wide screen size:

Standard screen size:

As always, for Windows users click on the thumbnail to open a higher resolution full picture, and then right click to select “Set as Background”. Mac users should select the background via System Preferences.