PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 22:01
t54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all about psychology, not technology.

The PF couldn't fly the plane without computer help but he thought (hoped) he could (Dunning-Kruger effect, alias "innocence of youth").
The PNF didn't want to offend him and damage the PF's self-esteem, especially as the PF's wife was in the back.
The PF wanted to get above the turbulence, anyway.
The captain would have marked him down (promotion prospects?) if he'd disturbed him for nothing.
The normal-law disconnection represented an OPPORTUNITY for the PF!

Result -
total disaster - reminiscent of crashes before anybody knew anything about how wings work. The PF didn't know anything (worthwhile) about how the most important machine on the aeroplane (the wings) work. Not surprising, really, when this simple device is shrouded in pseudo-mystery by mathematical nonsense spouted from so many sources.
Perhaps he had never swapped yarns with old-timers over a beer or two. Perhaps he had never heard of "coffin corner". Perhaps he thought that when you said "Up!" the plane always went up, When you said "Down!" the plane always went down. Just like on the computer.
But if you enter a skid, due to too vigorous actions...what then.....
Turn into the skid, of course - if you can do it in time.

What OUGHT to have happened was that the PF said immediately "I'm totally out of my depth here. For God's sake, you take over. I'll get the captain".
"Ce situation est trop difficile pour moi. Prennez-vous les controles, tout de suite. Je vais reculer le capitaine." (apologies for the French)

But that would NOT have gained him any Brownie points. The guy was between a rock and a hard place.