PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 21:45
DB64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots

Quote 3holelover
"Two kinds of pilot" I thought. "Old" and "New". "Old" could fly almost anything with wings, but not a newer, glass and computer machine. "New" could fly the computer generation "smart" birds, but probably not an old DC3.

I'm still mulling over those distinctions, but it has occurred to me more recently that this particular airplane needed both kinds of pilot, and the two "New" types that were in the seats just had none of the abilities of that "Old" type. I simply cannot fathom any of the type "Old" failing to recognize a stall. ... at any point during a 35000ft descent.

These poor blighters were more computer programmers than pilots. They needed an old geezer.... and when their best shot at that re-entered the cockpit, he'd missed the beginning of it all, and in any case his AF training had probably left a whole quilt of cobwebs on any "Old" pilot within him.

I'm not sure the distinction should be between old and new but rather those with a passion for the work they do and those for whom it is a job; alas the reality is often the latter in all walks of life but where lives are at risk such as in aviation or medicine I think we would all prefer to be in the hands of those for whom it is a true vocation and are passionate about it.

Whilst it seems clear that there was a serious lack of training, even I, who am not a pilot, would hope that understanding, avoiding and dealing with a stall were first principles of flying.

I do understand the issues are both complex and emotive and have followed the thread since the accident, personally I am horrified at the apparent lack of training and concerned about the recruitment criteria.