PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caribbean B738 at Georgetown on Jul 30, 2011, overran runway
Old 31st Jul 2011, 19:41
simtronix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info on the flight BW 523 from the Captain

This is from a local newspaper in Trinidad. I have not posted the whole article, only the relevant portions. While his name is mentioned in the link, I have removed his name from the excerpts below.

Trinidad and Tobago's Newsday : newsday.co.tt :

'I DID MY BEST TO SAVE LIVES'

By Nalinee Seelal Sunday, July 31 2011

Trinidadian pilot , who crash-landed an Air Caribbean Boeing 737-800 at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport early yesterday morning, told relatives in Trinidad that poor visibility due to heavy rainfall resulted in the aircraft over-shooting the runway, but insisted he did his best to prevent the loss of lives.

The pilot 52, who was traumatised by the incident and suffered injuries to his legs, spent some of the time nursing his injuries at the Pegasus hotel in Guyana yesterday, but when Sunday Newsday telephoned to speak with him last evening he had already checked out of the hotel.

However, a relative of the pilot, who preferred not to give her name, said his main concern was ensuring that no lives were lost when he negotiated the aircraft on the runway early yesterday.

He reportedly said the runway had poor lighting and this contributed to the poor visibility when he attempted to land at about 1.32 am. the captain, his co-pilot and crew members are expected to receive counselling from professional counsellors in the coming days, the Sunday Newsday was told.

Sunday Newsday understands that the pilot’s wife was distraught on learning of the incident and gave a prayer of thanks that her husband and others aboard the aircraft escaped serious injuries. It remained unclear yesterday when he will be returning home.

According to reports, the pilot barely missed going into a 200-feet wide ravine; this could have resulted in dozens of deaths. Following the incident, the airport was closed, leaving hundreds of passengers from other parts of the region stranded. The airport was reopened at 11 am yesterday.

According to reports reaching Sunday Newsday, the aircraft, which is valued at US$38 million, left New York and made a stop in Trinidad before eventually landing in Guyana. The airline said it was carrying 157 passengers and six crew members.

Hours later in Guyana, Nicholas hosted a news conference, where he stated that it was too early for any preliminary comment about what may have caused the crash-landing. He added, however, that the United States Transportation and Safety Board, as well as the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority, will be conducting investigations into what happened.