PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caribbean B738 at Georgetown on Jul 30, 2011, overran runway
Old 31st Jul 2011, 17:51
Walder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A flapless go-around is the same as a takeoff without flaps.
Normally you will not survive that.
The normal go-around flaps setting is 15. (Or 1 if the approach was conducted with flaps 15 - single engine.)
And if it was a go around, why is the reversers open then?

I doubt flaps were selected up deliberately – the travel time takes easily 25 seconds from 40 to 0.

Again – no flap motion can have taken place after the crash, the flaps motors needs inputs from the cockpit, and is driven by the hydraulic system, whist must be broken when we look at the pictures. The alternate system (an electrical motor) can only deploy the leading edge flaps and slats, not retract them.

A flapless landing is very rear on the 738 – if ever have happened - but if so, you will follow the checklist, and have declared EMERGENCY, because you land with much higher speed, and that might end up in an uncomfortable situation. So IF an EMERGENCY were announced the rescue team should have been at the plane before the passengers had time to take a taxi…..(according to the newspapers….)

If the configuration horn did not sound – (that happened in the Madrid accident) they should have been suspicious to the indication on the speed tape, and IF they had tried to fly with the speed for flaps 30 or 40 (but with flaps up) they would have stick shaker too. Furthermore the Ground Proximity Warning would have shouted “Too low – FLAPS” – as another on this forum already have mentioned. (As I remember it is not in connection with the configuration warning – so it should have sounded as well!)

I still really wander what happened here?????