PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Questions about PPL/Scotland
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2002, 09:13
flying snapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rossco,

You can find all the information about Prestwick (or any licenced aerodrome in the UK) from the AIS site. This is at WWW.ais.org.uk. You need to register for the info but this is only to see who is using the site - no charges! (very important to us Scots ha ha!). The Prestwick info is at

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/ad/egpk.htm

It is a pdf file and includes a very useful chart of the aerodrome so that you know where Tango or Romeo 1 is when you are cleared to there. The location of the VRP's is clearly marked on the 1/2 mil charts. You will need a North England one which covers up to Loch Lomond or so. There is a booklet about the local area, the flight centre rules and all the airfield rules at the flight centre. You have to read and sign this before they let you go up.

The weekend before last I had one of the best flights of my training so far. I left Prestwick, flew up over Cumbrae, Bute and eventually to Lochgilphead, then turned south over the entire length of the Mull of Kintyre. Gigha and Islay were clearly visible. Then down to Campbelltown before turning East to the southern tip of Arran and back to Prestwick. Everything went totally to plan and the views were magnificent. 1hr 25mins of solo time logged and a terrific sense of achievement gained!

Hope to see you at the portacabin soon. I also hope they told you that we are moving to our superb new clubhouse on Monday the 28th October. I will post a message to all when the new clubhouse (with hangar!) is officially open.

Happy flying!