PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 14:21
bearfoil

Hazelnuts39 re: #1110

Virtually from the outset, I have been trying to engage others in a discussion of the possibility of Autopilot loss due to other than UAS, or ICE. It was the fulcrum upon which I placed a snarky insult to PJ2, for which I am eternally regretful.

So thanks. The A/P is programmed to disconnect by itself when it cannot "keep up". The Definition of "Keeping Up" is what got me on PJ2's dark side, I fear. Also, what remains of LAW at this type of disconnect is NORMAL LAW. So, did the dropout cause the UAS instead of ICE? Via airflow disruption due manouvering in turbulent air? Were the first perhaps clumsy inputs of PF the cause of unreliable IAS?

Aside from that interesting discussion is the trail of Flight Path post a/p loss, imho. In ALTERNATE LAW, the a/c is "sensitive". Not in the way of a small fighter, way different. A wide Body is massive, and must be flown gently, when inputting a control if you can sense it at all quickly, it is probably too much? Driving heavy equipment requires a separate set of "Buns".

After A/P drop, the a/c was commanded NU. As his (PF's) first input, can we opine that it was "too much"? Likely without a quick response, the PF may have put in "more"?

HN, you assume a turbulence in cruise that is a given from the beginning (yes?) I believe. The autopilot manages such that the ride is "comfortable", but both pilots obviously were cognizant of airframe movement about the "best" Flightpath? So, as a surprise hand back, the PF must begin his manual flight without a current "feel" for response?

The first step in "correcting" is to stop the trend, not go the other way?

His first input was too much, he forgot to "wait"? With the rolling, is this an evidence of overcontrol?

However the a/p dropped out, isn't allowing the a/c to exhibit "sensitivity" a NO NO?

Somewhere between "Do Nothing" and ACM, isn't there a better transition avaliable?

takata. Bonjour! Thank you for the Pic. Note the damage at the lower collet, evidence of the jackscrew "pulling through" whilst trying to lessen the NU? Jammo?

grity. #1113. A Pilot Induced Roll Oscillation? (PIRO)? Is the SS damped to prevent "Coffee Stirring"? One surprise with all the calcs re: climb and KE is the absence of the rolling factor, a draggy circumstance, and without it, could the a/c have survived?

Last edited by bearfoil; 31st Jul 2011 at 14:39.